South Dakota Texas Holdem Poker Room Reviews
Home to offers a good variety of Texas holdem poker rooms which will satisfy even the most eager poker enthusiasts. You'll find mostly spread limit and limit Texas holdem cash games, due to the restrictions in the state on no limit play. This doesn't extend into tournaments though and these are mostly played in no limit format.
You can play poker here at , which is the location where the dead man's hand was created when one poker player was shot in the back of the head while playing. You'll be a lot safer these days though.
Most of the casinos in the state are run on Indian reservations due to the restrictive nature of the laws that govern the rest of the land. Other casino games can also be played on top of poker, although some of the casinos don't permit any alcohol to be consumed on their premises at all, so if this is a big draw for you maybe call ahead to check at the relevant casino.
The standard of play in South Dakota has hit a bit of a plateau with a lot of regulars still taking to the felt without much new money coming into the games. This has meant that casinos are closing some poker rooms or reducing the number of games that they offer.
We can only hope that with the resurgence of online poker this will have a good effect and see increased numbers taking to the live felt once again. South Dakota doesn't currently permit any online play, and doesn't regulate it at all, so the future may be bleak for some time to come. With pressure from other states regulating online play we may see South Dakota follow suit though.
Overall, you'll find some great Texas holdem poker rooms in this state. They're elegant, have that old style feel about them, and provide some excellent services to the player. So, if you live in South Dakota, or happen to be passing through, make sure you take a seat at the poker table and be sure to let us know how you fare.
List of South Dakota Poker Rooms
Here is our compiled list of all the poker rooms you can find in the state of South Dakota:
Cadillac Jack's Gaming Resort
- LocationDeadwood, South Dakota
- HoursMonday to Friday from 12pm, Saturday from 10am and Sunday from 2pm
- GamesYou'll find a daily no limit holdem tournament here at 1pm with a buy in of just $15. On top of this they offer $2 / $10, $3 / $25 and $3 / $15 spread limit holdem cash games.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room features black felt tables that are clean and well maintained amongst a beige and brown decor and on top of purply, brown and green pattern carpets. The room is designed like a traditional poker area and it's separate from the rest of the game by half glass and wood walls which keeps most of the noise out. TVs are also placed across the walls to keep you entertained between hands.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps while you play in cash games here through the Cadillac Club rewards program. On top of this you'll receive cocktail and food service at the table, and they have a range of poker promotions to keep you coming back for more.
- PlayersThis is a friendly poker room where everyone will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, from the cash game regulars through to poker room management. The play is decent enough, given the low stakes, so you'll still be able to find a decent challenge here. No one takes it too seriously, so sit down, grab and drink and relax with some good low ball poker in this room.
Dakota Sioux Casino
- LocationWatertown, South Dakota
- HoursMonday and Tuesday from 4pm, Saturday and Sunday from 11am. The room is closed on Wednesday and Thursday.
- GamesNo limit Texas holdem tournaments are offered on the days they are open, as well as a Omaha 8 or better event on Tuesday. The buy in ranges from $17 up to $225. So, call ahead to check. If you are looking for a cash game, you'll find $2 / $10 dealer's choice and $2 / $10 spread limit holdem games running here most of the time.
- AmbienceThis poker room is well maintained and clean and is completely non-smoking and partially separate from the rest of the casino to keep the noise out. They also have TVs placed across the walls to keep you entertained between hands.
- HospitalityTo keep you coming back for more this room runs a royal flush jackpot and a aces cracked prize. They also serve players cocktails at the table and offer comps through their Dakota Sioux Player's Club. If you play for 5 hours you can also get a hotel from for $30.
- PlayersThe play here is decent, without being great. The spread limit games attract a lot of variance and the games become a bit like a crap shoot at times. You can still find a decent edge if you have a solid game though so don't let this dissuade you too much. From all reports staff and dealers in this room are excellent and will look after you while you play.
Fort Randall Casino
- LocationLake Andes, South Dakota
- HoursWednesday from 10am, Friday from 5pm and Saturday from 12pm. The room is closed on all other days.
- GamesA weekly no limit holdem tournament is offered in this poker room at 12pm on Saturday. The buy in is just $35. At other times, you'll find $2 / $5 dealer's choice cash games running.
- AmbienceThis poker area offers players comps through the player's club, they'll also serve you cocktails at the table so you need never miss a hand. On top of this they run a high hand prize to keep you coming back for more.
- HospitalityThis poker room is just two tables off to the side in the main casino area. No smoking is permitted at the table for your comfort, and TVs can be viewed from most seats to keep you entertained while everyone tanks like they see the pros do on TV.
- PlayersYou'll find a good mix of regulars and amateurs at the tables in this poker room. The play will be a bit slow at time as poker isn't hugely popular here and it's more offered as an amenity to the rest of the casino. Dealers are OK and you should be able to do well if you have a decent game.
Grand River Casino
- LocationMobridge, South Dakota
- HoursOpen on Thursday from 4pm
- GamesNo tournament play is offered in this poker room. You'll only find $5 / $10 dealer's choice cash games.
- AmbienceThis small poker room features just four tables that are clean and well maintained in an open and spacious area. It's quite plain and no frills in respect to the room itself and the services they offer players.
- HospitalityYou will receive cocktail service while you play here and they also offer comps that can be collected and redeemed through the Gold Club rewards program.
- PlayersYou'll only find the one cash game running on multiple tables on the one day they are open. They sometimes open for special events or promotions, but this doesn't happen all too often. The standard of play is decent here with a lot of regulars battling it out on the felt.
Prairie Wind Casino
- LocationPine Ridge, South Dakota
- HoursThursday and Friday from 5pm until 1am, Saturday from 2pm until 10pm and Sunday from 11am. Closed Monday through Wednesday.
- GamesThis poker room only offers a single cash game usually; this being $3 / $12 spread limit Omaha 8 or better.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room is partially separate from the rest of the casino which means you won't be disturbed too much while you play. The tables are clean and chairs comfortable, with TVs strategically placed around the room to keep you up to date with all the latest sports results.
- HospitalityYou will receive comps when you play through the Shooting Stars Club, and they also offer basic drink service at the table. No alcohol is served at all in this casino.
- PlayersIt's random when it comes to the players you will come across at this cash game. The play will be decent with regulars dominating play during the earlier hours, and as such things should loosen up later when more amateurs come out to play. Staff and dealers here are great and will make sure you are looked after when you play.
Royal River Casino
- LocationFlandreau, South Dakota
- HoursThursday from 4pm until 2am, Friday and Saturday from 2pm until 4am
- GamesYou won't find any tournaments in this poker room and the only cash game usually offered is $4 / $8 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room is clean and well maintained with nice tables and comfortable chairs. The room is well-lit for longer sessions and you'll be able to see a TV from most seats at the table to keep you entertained.
- HospitalityYou'll receive cocktail and food service at the table in this poker room so you need never miss a hand. On top of these they run a range of promotions and jackpots to push your dollars that little bit further, and they offer comps through the Royal Rewards program.
- PlayersThis room is filled with regulars and the odd amateur sprinkled in here and there. It will be hard to clean up in a limit game of this type, but you should be able to squeeze out a nice profit if you take your time and play a solid strategy. The dealers here are good and management will make sure you are looked after when you are playing.
Saloon No. 10
- LocationDeadwood, South Dakota
- HoursMonday from 6pm until 2am, Tuesday and Thursday from 10am until 2am, Friday and Saturday from 10am until 4am and Sunday from 10am until 2am
- GamesNo limit Texas holdem tournaments are held on Friday and Saturday at 10.30am with a buy in of $6 and rebuy of $10. If you are looking for a cash game they spread $2 / $10 spread limit holdem, $2 / $10 stud 8 or better and $2 / $10 dealer's choice.
- AmbienceThis old style saloon is a tribute to the old days in Deadwood where poker was played between outlaws and thugs, in a game that was always at risk of becoming a shootout. The room is clean and well-appointed with plenty of artwork on the walls and old school poker tables which make you feel like you are playing the wild west. No smoking is permitted for your comfort and they have plenty of TVs around to keep you entertained while you play.
- HospitalityTap beer and wine is complimentary while you are playing here and you can also get free popcorn. Coms are offered as well through the casino rewards program and they will provide you with regular cocktail and food service at the table while you play. They also offer a bad beat jackpot and a special prize for the Deadman's hand or if you get four of a kind with tens.
- PlayersYou'll come across mostly amateurs in this poker room who are playing for fun and to go back in time to enjoy some old-school poker in an environment that is rich with history. You'll still find some regulars here so make sure you take your time and assess the play before making any big moves.
Silverado Franklin Casino
- LocationDeadwood, South Dakota
- HoursTuesday from 4pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 12pm and Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10am
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held each week on Saturday and Sunday. The buy in ranges from $43 up to $147. If you are a cash game specialists you'll find $3 / $6 dealer's choice, $2 / $100 spread limit holdem, $3 / $6 limit holdem and $5 / $10 limit Omaha 8 or better.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room features bright green felt tables in an old-school casino environment. The room is well-lit which is ideal for long sessions, and features TVs on the walls to keep you entertained while you play.
- HospitalityComps can be earned in cash games in this poker room through the Silverado-Franklin Players Card. On top of this they will provide you with cocktail service at the table and have some daily promotions where you could score some extra cash.
- PlayersMostly regulars cover the tables in this poker room. The games are therefore quite tough and the tournament play is just too fast with fast blind levels. If you want the best possible edge visit on a weekend evening, this will be when play is at its loosest.
The Lodge at Deadwood
- LocationDeadwood, South Dakota
- Hours24 hours 7 days
- GamesA daily no limit Texas holdem tournament is run every day except Saturday. The buy in ranges from $12 to $111, so call ahead to check if it's within your bankroll. If you are after a ring game they spread $4 / $8 limit holdem and $2 / $100 spread limit holdem cash tables.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room features deep wood tones and beige walls in a great setting with a large video poker bar in the middle. The room is well-lit for longer sessions and the dark green felt tables are clean with comfortable seats and plenty of space to move around. TVs cover the walls so you can keep up to date with all the latest sports scores while you play in this elegant poker room.
- HospitalityYou'll be served cocktails and food at the table while you play in this poker room, so you need never miss any of the action. They also offer comps which can be earned and redeemed through the CLUB 76 rewards program. This can be as high as $3 per hour if you play on Wednesday, Friday or Saturday.
- PlayersYou'll come across a lot of regulars in this casino which makes the games quite tough. The tournaments used to be filled with regulars who would take advantage of the unlimited rebuys and add-ons, but they have since stopped this which is a good thing for visitors and amateur players. If you want the best possible action visit on a weekend evening when the drinks have been flowing and the play will be soft at best.
South Dakota offers many poker rooms with plenty of cash game action and Texas holdem tournaments running every week. If you live in South Dakota or plan a trip to the famous Deadwood area you can quickly find a table offering your favourite game.