Iowa Texas Holdem Card Rooms
If you were to ask a random person off the street if they think poker would be big in Iowa, they would probably give you a blank stare. Even if this person was from Iowa the resultant response would probably be the same. The state certainly isn't big on its poker. They do however have a few poker rooms in their casinos and the Texas holdem poker seems alive and well.
The game of choice is of course no limit holdem, like in most states. You'll find some other games being played on the weekends in some casinos, mostly Omaha and stud, with the odd mixed game opening from time to time.
Comps are offered for players in most places and this is quite often a bit more generous than in some of the major poker states. Your best choices for good action packed games are Horseshoe Casino in Council Bluffs and Riverside Casino.
List of Iowa Poker Rooms
Here is our compiled list of all the poker rooms you can find in the state of Iowa:
Catfish Bend Casino
- LocationBurlington, IA
- HoursMonday and Wednesday 4pm to midnight, Tuesday and Thursday 2pm to 2am, Friday and Saturday open 24 hours, and Sunday from 8am to 10pm
- GamesThis poker room offers both tournaments and cash games. You'll find daily no limit tournaments on Wednesday to Friday with two offered on Friday. The buy in ranged from $25 up to $125. For the cash players they spread $1 / $2 no limit holdem, $5 / $10 limit Omaha 8s or better and $2 / $10 Stud 8s or better. Usually it's only the holdem game running.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room has TVs on the walls and some of the tables have automatic shufflers to keep things moving. The room is well lit with wooden panelled walls and beige and brown tables and chairs. It's a very nice place to play poker.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps while playing at the Catfish Bend Casino poker room at a rate of $1 per hour. They also offer cocktail service at the table.
- PlayersYou will find some decent competition in this casino with mostly regulars covering the tables outside of the busy hours. When it is busy, on weekends, you'll find softer play and a lot more action. Mainly in the no limit holdem cash game. If you bring a decent game to the poker room you should be getting it in good a lot of the time.
Diamond Jo Casino Northwood
- LocationNorthwood, IA
- HoursMonday to Wednesday 12pm to 3am, Thursday to Saturday 10am to close, and Sunday 10am to 3am
- GamesThis room offers daily no limit holdem tournaments with buy in's ranging from $30 to $65. They go dark on some Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's. On top of this you'll find $1 / $2 no limit holdem cash games always running with $2 / $5 opening up on weekends.
- AmbienceThe tables and chairs in this poker room are in great condition. The room is spacious and non-smoking they have TV's on the walls to keep you entertained between hands.
- HospitalityPlayers can earn comps in this room at a rate determined by how many hours they play in a month. If you play 15 hours or less you'll get 50 cents per hour, 16 to 30 hours will earn you 75 cents per hour and over 31 hours will earn you $1 per hour. You will also be served cocktails while you play.
- PlayersThe games here will be most filled with locals who think they are quite decent, but come on, this is Iowa. So if you come from a more poker savvy state you should be able to cash in at this place. For the record, Iowa is a great state with some excellent poker players. The dealers and players are very friendly and welcoming which is a necessity these days to keep poker alive.
Grand Falls Casino Resort
- LocationLarchwood, IA
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesFor the cash players they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $2 / $10 spread limit Omaha 8s or better, and $2 / $10 stud 8s or better. No limit holdem and limit Omaha 8s or better tournaments are offered except on Tuesday and Friday. Omaha is played on Monday's. The buy ins will range from $40 to $100.
- AmbienceThis non-smoking poker room is well maintained and has TV's on the walls to keep you covered. This new casino boasts nice beige walls and ceilings and green table felt tables with comfortable chairs.
- HospitalityYou can earn 50 cents in comps per hour played here through the Grand Falls Resort Club. They also offer food and cocktail service at the tables. A series of jackpots and promotions are also offered to push your dollars further.
- PlayersYou'll come across a good mix of players here with some regulars and some recreational players. The play won't be that solid, so if you bring a decent range and play book you should be able to do well. Expect lots of bluffing and big moves, like they show on ESPN from the big tournaments.
Horseshoe Casino Council Bluffs
- LocationCouncil Bluffs, IA
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesTournaments are held almost daily here with the exceptions being some Friday's and Thursday's. The game is usually no limit holdem with some crazy pineapple also. The buy in will range from $55 to $250 depending on the day. For the cash players they hold $1 / $3 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $3 / $6 limit holdem and $6 / $12 and $10 / $20 limit Omaha 8s or better games.
- AmbienceThis classically designed poker room has green felt tables and brown chairs within a wooden panelled room with brown and beige tones. It's a great poker environment which just feels like a natural place to play. The room is non-smoking and has TV's to keep you entertained.
- HospitalityThrough the Total Rewards program you can earn comps here at 50 cents per hour played. IF you play over 20 hours in a week you get a bonus $12 in comps. They also serve food at the table and cocktails are available as well. The poker room runs various bonuses and jackpots, including for high hands and bad beats, to push your rake and drop dollars further.
- PlayersThe room will mostly be filled with regulars who know each other and play a different game when they are in pots together. Your best bet is to visit during busier hours when the regulars don't dominate the tables as much. This way you'll often find softer tables and weaker, sometimes inebriated, players.
Isle Casino Waterloo
- LocationWaterloo, IA
- HoursFriday to Tuesday from 2pm, Closed Wednesday and Thursday
- GamesOnly cash games take place in this casino with the games being $1 / $2 no limit holdem, and $1 / $2 and $5 / $10 pot limit Omaha high.
- AmbienceThis small poker room features TV's on the walls, automatic shufflers on the tables and is non-smoking for player comfort.
- HospitalityPlayers can earn 60 cents per hour in comps in this poker room through the Fan Club rewards program. Cocktails and food are also available at the table and they run some jackpots and bonuses to keep you coming back.
- PlayersYou'll find mostly weaker regulars in this poker room with the game loosening up a bit on weekend evenings. If you pick your times and spots you should do well here, although it's not really worth going out of your way for.
Lady Luck Casino Marquette
- LocationMarquette, IA
- HoursFriday to Saturday from 6pm to 3am, Sunday 11am to 11pm
- GamesThis small poker area doesn't offer any tournament play and only spreads $3 / $6 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis non-smoking poker room poker area features TV's that are viewable from most seats and automatic shufflers on the tables.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps while you play here and cocktails and food are available from the table, which is always a good thing.
- PlayersWeak amateurs and regulars are the most common players you'll come across here. While the vibe should be friendly and welcoming the play will be slow and soft. If you have patience and like a slow limit game then this could be your jam. If not you'll find much better value elsewhere.
- LocationTama, IA
- HoursMonday to Wednesday from 2pm, Thursday from 10am, Friday from 8am, Saturday and Sunday from 10am
- GamesYou'll find almost daily no limit holdem tournaments in this poker room with the buy in ranging from $25 up to $55. They sometimes go dark on Wednesday's, Friday's and Saturday's, so call ahead to check. For the cash players they spread $1 / $2 no limit holdem all the time and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $1 / $2 mixed and $4 / $8 limit Omaha 8s or better on weekends.
- AmbienceThis poker room is quite small and no smoking. It features TV's that are viewable from most seats at the table. The tables and chairs are well maintained and comfortable.
- HospitalityComps can be earned by players at a rate of $1 per hour. If you play 4 hours you can get a discounted hotel room rate. On top of this they serve cocktails at the table. If you want food you'll have to leave the table.
- PlayersThis room is truly dominated by regulars who know each other and the staff. They don't really go out of their way to welcome you or make it a fun environment. We've also heard reports of some unfair promotions that favor regulars in the tournaments.
- LocationDubuque, IA
- HoursWednesday 11am to 3am, Thursday from 4pm, Friday from 10am, Saturday from 11am, Sunday 11am to 3am, closed on Monday and Tuesday
- GamesOn the days they are open except Saturday, they run a no limit holdem tournament with a buy in ranging from $40 to $80. They also spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $5 / $10 limit Omaha 8s or better, $6 / $12 and $10 / $20 mixed and $2 / $10 stud 8s or better.
- AmbienceThis no-smoking poker area features TV's on the wall and automatic shufflers. The red table felt stands out nicely against the blue and black chairs, in this nicely designed poker area just off from the main casino floor.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps here through the MyClub program at 50 cents per hour. On top of this they service cocktails and food at the table to keep you going strong.
- PlayersThe action isn't great in this poker room and you'll struggle to find value here in any games. We've heard that staff aren't that great too which can kill the game in so many ways. Hopefully they improve this soon or the room will probably disappear.
Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino
- LocationAltoona, IA
- HoursSunday to Wednesday from 8am to 4am, Thursday to Saturday open 24 hours
- GamesTournaments are offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday. The game is no limit holdem and the buy in ranges from $35 to $70. On top of this they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $5 / $10 mixed and $3 / $6 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis basic poker room is no-smoking and has some TV's viewable from the tables. The chairs aren't super comfortable but the tables are well maintained. Overall it's a decent playing environment.
- HospitalityComps can be earned here at the measly rate of 10 cents per hour through the Prairie Gold Club rewards program. You can also get food at the table and will be provided with cocktail service while playing.
- PlayersThis room is very friendly and welcoming, particularly to visitors, which is a really good thing. Some other rooms in Iowa should take note of this. You'll find lots of action on friendly tables with decent play.
Rhythm City Casino Resort
- LocationDavenport, IA
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held on Monday's and Wednesday's at 6pm with a buy in of $30 and $40 respectively. On the last Sunday of each month they also offer a $100 buy in no limit holdem tournament. This poker room also spreads $1 / $2, $2 / $5 and $5 / $10 no limit holdem and $3 / $6 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis no-smoking poker room features TV's on the walls and automatic shufflers on most tables. The red felt tables are well maintained with comfortable chairs. This means you can sit in on long cash or tournament sessions without too much discomfort.
- HospitalityComps can be earned here through the E-Club! rewards program and you can also get cocktails and food at the table.
- PlayersYou'll find a mixed bag of players here with the best value being on a Friday or Saturday night. Locals will cover most of the tables at other times, however, they are friendly and welcoming meaning the vibe is always good.
- LocationRiverside, IA
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesThe poker room at Riverside Casino offers a daily tournament rotating between no limit holdem and limit Omaha 8s or better. The buy in ranges from $30 to $50. For the cash players they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $3 / $6 limit Omaha 8s or better and $3 / $6 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis no-smoking room is clean, comfortable and spacious offering TV's on the walls to keep you covered between hands. Unfortunately they don't have automatic shufflers on the tables at this stage.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps in this poker room through the Riverside Resort Club rewards program. On top of this they offer cocktails and food at the table to keep you grinding longer. They also run a bad beat jackpot.
- PlayersThe play is quite soft here so you will need patience to do well. The variance could be quite high as you'll get called down, and quite often experience bad beats, in many hands. Even still, you should be profitable in the long run if you ride out the variance here. The dealers and management go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.
Wild Rose Casino
- LocationClinton, IA
- HoursFriday and Saturday only from 6:30pm
- GamesYou'll only find a $1 / $2 no limit holdem cash game running here with no tournaments offered.
- AmbienceThis is just one poker table in the casino area. No smoking is permitted at the table.
- HospitalityYou can get food and cocktails from the table and you'll also be awarded with comps based on your play. These can be earned through the Wild Times Club rewards program.
- PlayersIt's all down to luck when you play poker at the Wild Rose Casino. Not in respect to whether you win or lose, but in regards to what type of players you'll find at the table.
- LocationSloan, IA
- HoursMonday to Wednesday and Friday open from 10am, Saturday and Sunday from 11am. Closed on Thursday
- GamesThis poker room features a no limit holdem tournament each day they are open. They have a free-roll on Sunday's with other tournaments having a buy in between $25 and $50. On top of this they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $3 no limit holdem, $2 / $10 and $4 / $10 mixed and $2 / $10 stud 8s or better cash games.
- AmbienceIt's all about the browns and yellows in this spacious poker room. The brown table felt is well maintained and clashes brilliantly with the mustard yellow walls. The tables and chairs are comfortable and the room is non-smoking. TV's are also viewable from most seats.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps while you play here. Food and cocktails are also offered at the table for players. They also offer bad beat and high hand jackpots, as well as some promotions for free chips on weekends.
- PlayersYou'll find a lot of friendly regulars in this poker room with more visitors and amateurs appearing on weekend evenings. If you want value and can put up with the odd bad beat, visit on Saturday and Sunday. If you fare better against solid players go mid-week.
While Iowa isn't the Texas holdem hot bed that many states are, you can still find a few good games in the state. In addition, you can still find plenty of private and home games if you know where to look. By using this handy Iowa Texas holdem guide you know where to find the public poker rooms, which is a good place to start your search when looking for your next game.